Pay equity through the lens of the career life cycle, transformation and change: a Sageco Wisdom Circle
As a WGEA Pay Equity Ambassador, CEO of Sageco Alison Monroe led three interactive discussions with high-profile clients willing to share their wisdom on gender pay equity in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. Over thirty organisations participated in this Sageco ‘Wisdom Circle’. While we can never capture the complete richness of the discussion, we have produced a resource document to reflect the key themes and resources.
The employee life course
At Sageco we have a unique opportunity to influence pay equity with client organisations and individuals. With over 3000 women participating in our career transition programs in any given year, we are able to support the way they negotiate salary successfully and provide them with strategies and tools that foster self belief and confidence.
In our Wisdom Circle, we challenged participants to describe what an award winning ‘pay equity’ organisation would look like at each stage of the employee life course. The cumulative result is a unique list, borne out of practice rather than just theory.
These resources will provide a starting point or further inspiration to continuing the pay equity journey in your organisation.
- Video: The Global Gender Gap Report 2014
- OECD: Gender Publication – Closing the Gender Gap: Act Now
- Catalyst: The pay gap
- WGEA Gender Equality Scorecard November 2015
- WGEA gender equality roadmap: See Gender strategy toolkit
- WGEA perspective paper ‘Different genders, different lives’ provides great insights on how gender bias creeps in along the career lifecycle.
- ANZ report – Barriers to achieving financial gender equity
- Ice-breaker video: Explaining the gender pay gap
- WGEA: Developing a pay equity strategy. In addition, page 7 of the ‘Manager toolkit’ lists actions that individual managers can take to ensure they are actively involved in the removal of gender bias from pay and performance decisions.
- WGEA: Women and negotiation
- DCA/KPMG: Understanding the Economic Implications of the Gender Pay Gap in Australia
- Impact of pay secrecy: The conversation – Let’s talk about your pay loudly
- Case studies: Commonwealth bank, Telstra & Thoughtworks
- Ice-breaker video: Introduction to workplace flexibility
- Ice-breaker video: Equilibrium challenge (e-men)
- DCA: Men get flexible!
- Case studies: Telstra – All roles flex
The art of diversity in inclusion
- Ice-breaker video: How does diversity come into play when planning redundancies?
- Sageco: The art of diversity in transition
Download our free summary paper Same, same but different.
Our thanks to the following organisations for participating in our ‘Same, same but different’ Wisdom Circle:
AGL, AIG Australia, Ambulance VICTORIA, AMP, Aurecon, Aurizon, Australian Prudential Regulation Authority, Australian Red Cross Blood Service, BP Australia, Brisbane City Council, Department of Health QLD, Harvard Business Publishing, Jacobs, Kelly Magowan Consulting, KPMG Australia, Lendlease, Linea Solutions, Lion, Macquarie Bank, McMillian Shakespeare, Minter Ellison, Mondelez International, NAB, Qantas Airways, Rowland, Schneider Electric, Schweppes, Suncorp, UnitingCare Ageing NSW / ACT, Western Health, Westpac Group.
“There can be no life without change, and to be afraid of what is different or unfamiliar is to be afraid of life.”